Monday, March 3, 2014

Drone Strike: The Board Game Rev. 1

Game Name: Drone Strike

Game Idea:

On an assignment to create a prototype board game in my game development class at San Jose State University (SJSU), I created a board game called 

Drone Strike. The game is inspired by modern technology and how drones can be used in combat situations. Drone Strike is a start-to-finish board game consisting of a 100 spaces. It uses a six-sided die and 33 chance cards.

Game Board:


Game Board 2nd Revision






Game Board 1st Revision

Game Cards:

Game Rules:

·      1) 2-4 Players
·      2) Ages 5 to End of Charge
·      3) (1) 6-Sided Die
·      4) 33 Cards (See card descriptions)
o  13 – Hostility Cards with Negative Outcomes.
o  19 – Intelligence Cards with Positive Outcomes.
o  1 - Special Card.
o  For the prototype, the cards are numbered and correlate to a sentence with that number.
·      5) Player Must Roll Greater Than 1 to Start a Mission.
·      6) The Person with the Highest Rolled Number Goes first.
·      7) If a Player is in an airspace that you will occupy as a result of a roll value. Move that Player 1 Space Back.
·      8) To WIN be the First to Get to the Finish (Space 100). 
·      9) When a player lands on a Mission Space (Marked in red) They Must Pick Up a Card and the Outcome.
·      10) If a player Lands on a Change of Flight Plan (Space Indicated by an arrow) they must follow the flight plan to the space indicated. (If someone is in the space follow rule 7)
·      11) Make sure the deck is shuffled and fair.
·      12) A player may draw another card if they land on mission space while going in the forward direction and it is there turn. Ex I roll a six and land on a Mission space and pull a card that says +2 . I would move +2 and if I landed on another mission space I would get to draw another card. Only works in the positive direction.
·      13) Negative moves do not allow drawing cards.
·      14) If a player lands on an empty space it is the next players turn.
·      15) When all the cards have been used a player will shuffle the deck and the cards can be used again.

Game Sessions:

The game was played around 10 times during the development. Each time the game was played I noticed a flaw. I started playing the game with a six-sided die that was numbered from 0-5. I noticed that the game play was longer than I wanted it to be so in the second game session I adjusted the die to a 12–sided die. The second game session was over to fast. I finally decided to use a regular 6-sided die 1-6 instead of 0-5 and found that the game play was optimized. Throughout the game I used a 33-card deck with a 50% chance of pulling a + or - effect. I noticed that when the game was played that the negative effect made the game last a lot longer so I decided to change some of the negative effects to positive effects. After I changed the card layout the game became a lot more fun and did not last forever.  One of the last changes that I made was to add spaces that allow a player to fly from different locations indicated on the map. With that addition and the change of the cards the game came together really well. I actually enjoy playing the game I designed and will work on it further in the next revision.

To Be Continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment